Saturday 25 July 2009

The begining is the end







When I was learning to write stories in school my teachers would always tell me to start a story in the middle. This technique, called "en media res" is designed to grab the readers attention which will easily flag when confronted with the traditional begining, middle, end structure of most stories. well, i figure why not take this tactic a step further and begin my story at the end...






One of the highlights of my summer, something I have been looking forward to for months, is this trip to Spain I am on right now. Like most people in the ADD era I am never satisfied with the here and now. I always need something more, something excessive and fun and over the top to look forward to. Spain was one of those things. Just¨thinking about the trip brought back images of my semester abroad last year and all the crazy travel andventures I experienced.






At the begining of the trip I started writing down some notes on my travels. These are in the nature of philosophical musings, journal entries, and satirical essays. For some reason travelling always draws out my creative side. It must be the new experiences which stir my mental morass and the freedom from every day chores such as laundry, work, staying fit, and being a generally responsible person which allows my mind to wander and grasp on more creative pursuits. Here above are some of my literary idols who have influenced me in the style and content of my writing:

xxxdisclaimerxxx
I don´t mean this blog to be a place for me to brag about my exploits or a place for me to weep out my shortcomings and psychological deficiencies. This is merely the most convenient forum for me to share my creative energies in a constructive form. I have always enjoyed the process of writing out my thoughts and yet it seems much more real and tangible when I make these thoughts public, in whatever limited form is available to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment